BOURBONNAIS, IL – With the temperature dropping below zero, the best way to avoid major car problems is simple. We have compiled a list of 10 tips to keep in mind if you find yourself out and about in this severe cold weather and before we get our highly anticipated “heat wave”!
- Keep your gas tank at least half full to avoid gas line freeze-up.
- Never warm up a vehicle in an enclosed area, such as a garage.
- Make certain your tires are properly inflated.
- If possible, avoid using your parking brake in cold, rainy and snowy weather.
- Wintry weather can contribute to the deterioration of your windshield wipers. Worn blades streak and impair vision, critical during winter months. It is best to have your wiper blades replaced every year.
- Keep your washer fluid topped-off with winter formula fluid so it won’t freeze. Many of your car’s fluids should be checked once a month.
- Emergency kit — Stock your trunk with a snow shovel, an ice scraper, jumper cables, a flashlight, a blanket, bag of sand/kitty litter, clothing, water, nonperishable food and a can of tire inflator.
- Keep Snow and Ice Off Your Car – Clear snow and ice from all windows, mirrors and lights on your vehicle before you drive. Blowing snow can significantly diminish visibility. Clearing all windows BEFORE you start driving assures maximum vision of your surroundings and assists in reducing ice and snow buildup as you drive.
- Never attempt to charge or jump-start a battery that is frozen, as it may rupture or explode.
- When you approach a snow plow from behind, pass with care and only when you can see the road ahead of the plow. You should not try to pass in blowing snow. There may be a vehicle in that cloud of snow! Allow more distance between you and the plow, they may be spreading salt.
- And finally, it may seem obvious to most but, buckle those seat belts! (It’s the law)
Court Street Ford, located at 558 William Latham Drive, is proud to be one of the premier dealerships in the Bradley, Bourbonnais, and Kankakee area, committed to exceptional customer service! Stop by or give us a call at (877) 298-5375, our knowledgeable sales team will be happy to help!
Visit our Website: Court Street Ford