BOURBONNAIS, IL – The new 2015 Ford F-150 has been completely redesigned. Ford Motor Company has been hard at work and that is an understatement! One of the improvements that they have made for this year is that it is more aerodynamic and tougher than ever.
All new squared off edges give the F-150 a more structured look that was designed to convey confidence. These elements also work together to allow the F-150 to slip through the air more efficiently.
“The truck’s sharp, boxy shape gives it a tough appearance, but actually the key to the design is aerodynamic efficiency – getting the most out of the shape,” said Brad Richards, Ford F-150 exterior design manager. “We made F-150 look tough and capable, while also reducing wind resistance.”
Rear corners are designed to allow the air to cleanly detach from the vehicle to reduce turbulence and swirling air that can cause drag and reduce efficiency. The improved aerodynamics help increase efficiency by reducing the work performed by the engine to overcome aerodynamic drag.
As the design of the all-new F-150 evolved with clay models, wind tunnel testing enabled designers to see where they could gain greater aerodynamic efficiencies:
- Flush-mounted windshield eliminates need for molding that would disrupt smooth airflow
- Tailgate top is designed to act as a spoiler, giving air that flows off the roof a place to land before smoothly trailing off, reducing turbulence behind the truck
- Cargo box is narrower than the cab, with no reduction in box volume, which enhances airflow, while a trim piece prevents air from getting trapped between cab and box
- Rear corners including taillamps are precisely angled so air breaks off cleanly, reducing turbulence behind the truck
- The duct under the headlamp channels air through to the wheel housing and reduces the wake generated from the wheel.
“Testing in the wind tunnel helped us fine-tune a happy medium between styling, aerodynamics, engineering and cost,” said Richards. “We learned where we could push shape and design to reduce drag, and where to stop when we weren’t gaining anything.”
The new Ford F-150 is slated to arrive on the lot sometime later in 2014, but you can still stop by our Bourbonnais area Ford dealership with questions or to view the 2014 model! We have a great selection of New Ford Cars, New Ford Trucks, and Pre-owned cars for sale – all of which have great technology features! So stop on by and let us help you into a vehicle you’ll love.
Court Street Ford, located at 558 William Latham Drive, is a multi-year president’s award winning dealership. We have been serving the Kankakee, Bradley, Bourbonnais area for 30 years and counting! We are committed to exceptional customer service. Stop by or give us a call at (815) 939-9600, our knowledgeable sales team and service department will be happy to help and are dedicated to providing the best experience for every customer.
Visit our Website: Court Street Ford